Thursday, September 4, 2008

Duck rice @ Wong Kei, London

Yes, the infamous Wong Kei!!! The place where tourists go to see just how rude the waiters can be. It's also the place where students go as it is the cheapest duck rice in town!

To be fair, the waiters have mellowed thru-out the years. I guess the novelty of rude waiters has worn off. I found some of them to be polite, even!

Almost each time i traveled to London, i would go there to fill me tummy! It was the cheapest duck rice in town. And i must admit the quality wavers.

I usually order the duck and roast pork rice.



The roast pork is so good. The layers of fat and meat topped with crunchy skin - lovely! The duck also has the layer of fat between the meat and the skin - British ducks! You can't find that here in M'sia. I haven't found any yet. All healthy skinny ducks here!

The portions are large. Generous cuts of pork and duck, all on top a great big plate if rice. Don't forget the 'chilly oil' too. The meal also comes with a small pot of chinese tea, on the house!

There is a section at the front reserved for individual customers - also a good chance to make conversation with strangers and other tourists.

I love going to that place. The smell of the place is so typically like a chinese restaurant. I hear the frenly banter in cantonese between the staff. There's usually this 'uncle' who'll be whistling so old chinese tune. Not the best duck in London but it's one of me fav places to go to.

No comments: